The Marquee Hotel is located in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana in Via Provinciale per San Romano, about 45 minutes from Lucca . The Garfagnana, lively center of the green and beautiful Serchio Valley, furthest strip of land in Northern Tuscany, is the ideal destination for a relaxing holiday.
The wealth of small villages and nature areas make it a pleasant destination to spend one’s holiday, or even just a romantic weekend.
The town of Barga is situated at 410 m above sea level, on the Colle Remeggio in the heart of Garfagnana, and has been recognized as one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. The Cathedral is the most important religious building in Barga and the building dates back to before 1000 AD. Another important building is the Teatro dei Differenti which opened in 1795. On the 26th of November 1911, Giovanni Pascoli, gave his famous speech "The great proletariat has moved" there. Along the Viale Giovanni Pascoli, 5 km from Barga, is Castelvecchio Pascoli. In 1895 the poet Giovanni Pascoli settled on the Colle di Caprona, where he remained until the last days of his life. The house has been maintained as it was at the time of his death and is still pervaded by his atmosphere . Fornaci di Barga is the main village in the municipality and is an important business centre for the whole Comune of Barga thanks to the presence of numerous commercial and industrial activities. Also worthy of note is Loppia, located between Barga and Fornaci di Barga, home to a Romanesque church. In the mountains around Barga are the villages of Renaio, Sommocolonia and Tiglio. Of particular interest is the small village of Sommocolonia, dominated by a fortress from which you can view a wide panorama of the Garfagnana.
The main attraction of the town of Vagli di Sotto is definitely the submerged village of Fabbriche di Careggine, since disappeared because submerged by the waters of the reservoir of Lago di Vagli. The village had been built in the thirteenth century, on the banks of the river Edron. Since 1946 the inhabitants have been transferred to the current village of Vagli di Sotto, located on the promontory of the Lago di Vagli. Another village belonging to the municipality of Vagli di Sotto is Vagli di Sopra, situated on the marble cliffs of the grand and spectacular mountain Tambura, 761 m. above sea level and part of the Apuan Alps. Of great beauty also the pasture of Campocatino, ancient pastoral nucleus lying in the green meadow basin of glacial origin at the foot of Mount Roccandagia. Starting from the natural oasis of Campocatino you can reach the Hermitage of San Viano, incredibly clinging to an overhanging rock wall. Here, in perfect solitude lived Viano , feeding on wild cabbages growing on the rock.
One of the most interesting places in the municipality of San Romano in Garfagnana is the Parco del’Orecchiella. The park is located on the Apennines side of the Garfagnana and is in-between the towns of Piazza al Serchio, San Romano in Garfagnana, Sillano and Villa Collemandina. This is an area protected by the State Forestry Corps composed of beech, chestnut and fir tree forests still populated by numerous species of wild animals such as the Apennine wolf, deer, moufflon and wild boar. The skies are dominated by birds of prey such as hawks and eagles. The park occupies a vast area with paths that have different levels of difficulty: more information and itineraries are available at the visitor center.
Another important attraction in the vicinity of San Romano in Garfagnana is the Adventure Park Forest of Buffardello which has been active in Garfagnana for several years now. The Marquee Hotel has developed stay/excursion packages in collaboration with the adventure park. Also near San Romano in Garfagnana is the spectacular medieval fortress of Verrucole, one of the most famous monuments which in recent years has been the subject of numerous restorations promoted by the Municipality of San Romano in Garfagnana, which owns it since 1986.
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana is dominated by the Rocca Ariostesca, symbol of the city overlooking the central Piazza Umberto I, owing its name to having hosted Ludovico Ariosto as governor of the Estense province of Garfagnana. The interior of the Cathedral of Castelnuovo Garfagnana erected in the sixteenth century on the remains of a previous Romanesque church dating from the eleventh century in the baroque period was the subject of profound changes, with the addition of nine altars, with the decorative splendour typical of that era. The Municipal Theatre "Vittorio Alfieri" is, with its 510 seats, the second theatre in the province, after the Teatro del Giglio in Lucca. It was inaugurated in 1860. Another important monument located in the municipality of Castelnuovo Garfagnana is the Fortress of Mont'Alfonso, planned at the end of the sixteenth century as the extreme defensive garrison of the Duchy of Ferrara to defend the border with the Republic of Lucca. An Estense military garrison in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, during the Napoleonic period (1805-1814), it then became part of the assets of the Principality of Lucca and Piombino.
The Municipality of Castiglione Garfagnana has been recognized as one of the most beautiful towns in Italy and even today may be considered one of the most important and beautiful examples of a "living castle" of the Serchio valley. Another important structure is the medieval bridge with a single ‘donkey saddle’ arch, made with the local stone. According to its construction and architectural form, we can place its construction in the early fourteenth century. Other important places in the municipality of Castiglione Garfagnana are Casone di Profecchia and the Passo delle Radici where there are ski lifts and cross-country trails and which represent starting points for excursions into the surrounding peaks of the Apennines (Monte Prado, Cusna Monte, Monte Vecchio) through a network of paths immersed in beech forrests. The village of San Pellegrino in Alpe, at 1,525 m. above sea level, is the highest permanently inhabited village of the entire Apennine chain, another peculiarity is to belong simultaneously to two municipalities (Castiglione Garfagnana and Frassinoro), two provinces (Lucca and Modena ) and two regions (Tuscany and Emilia Romagna). To see: the Sanctuary of the Saints Pellegrino and White and the "Don Luigi Pellegrini" Provincial Ethnographic Museum which contains over 4000 objects related to rural civilization of the Serchio Valley and the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.
Vagli di Sotto
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
Castiglione di Garfagnana
Hotel The Marquee © 2010-2013 - P.Iva 01067390466
Credits Grafica & Pubblicità